Not available in stores
See note at the end regarding the difference between the black t-shirt for this design and the other three tee colors.
Are you a bourbon hunter, or do you know someone who is, or who aspires to be? Attire is an important part of the mission, so you will need this skull t-shirt.
It's not too far off to say you will need the attitude of this tee to find the elusive creatures known as hard to find bourbons, much less at something in the ballpark of retail price.
The elusive creature known as bourbon
You probably know the stories. Bourbon hunters standing in line at 2AM for a few bottles reportedly in a store that won't open for hours. Who else is up at 2AM? Vampires and zombies and those who doggedly track them down! This tee fits your efforts and your challenge. Courage and cheers!
It wasn't always this way. In the mid- to late 20th century, bourbon was down and out, unfavored, unloved, with the low-price to boot. In an episode of the Columbo, the 1970s TV series starring the disheveled but brilliant police detective played by Peter Falk, a woman finds out her daughter may be about to marry into wealth.
"Today bourbon, tomorrow Champagne."
Those were the days when you could buy a barrel of Pappy for less than what a single bottle will go for today. Seems like fantasy today. We recently saw Michter's Celebration priced at $15,000.
Your grandfather's bourbon is in again, now loved and highly favored. And it takes time to age so distilleries can't just increase production to immediately bring more to market. The demand is fueled in part by overseas sales. Japan and Spain are enthusiastic consumers of bourbon, which can only be called bourbon if it meets several requirements, one of which is that it has to be made in the United States (like Champagne has to be made in France).
Bourbon hunter = Bourbon Detective
Today a bottle can retail for just under $100 but can be priced on the secondary market for $500 or more. Complicating the matter are the beverage control authorities in some states that limit and allocate stock in ways that can leave clues as to where and when sought-after bottles may be briefly sold, at or close to suggested retail.
In this way, today's bourbon hunters are very much like Detective Columbo, who is intrigued and consumed by the clues.
Tips for the bourbon hunter
- Find out which stores get the good stuff
- Visit the store, get to know the bourbon steward and woo them. Don't bring up the subject of Pappy just yet! Remember, finesse. Maybe the stores (or other places) have some tastings you can do, to network and make friends
- If the store has a waiting list, get on it. If they are on social media, follow them and watch for news, updates.
- Ask for old bottles in the back . Sometimes there are unicorns that store personnel may not even recognize.
- Dust for prints. (No wait, wrong detective work.)
Finally be careful of revealing your expertise on duty. Nothing wrong with proudly wearing this beautiful t-shirt to say you are a bourbon hunter. But maybe it's better to wear off duty, hanging with friends, drinking your favorite pour.
A note on the black tee for this design
There are four t-shirt colors to choose from with the Bourbon Hunter design: black, dark grey, navy, and army. There is a black-colored part of the illustration that you can see on all the shirts except for the black. It is that "black splash/spill" behind the skull. We think the black tee looks very cool without the feature, but take a look at which t-shirt fits your fancy. Cheers!
Our tees are the highest quality you will find. 100% combed and ring-spun cotton by Bella Canvas, a USA-based company. Feels soft and lightweight, with the right amount of stretch. It's comfortable and very flattering for both men and women.
Free Shipping -- Please allow from 7 to 14 days for shipping. If you are getting this t-shirt for a special day, like Halloween, please be sure to order with plenty of time for shipping.
• 100% combed and ring-spun cotton (Heather colors contain polyester)
• Ash color is 99% combed and ring-spun cotton, 1% polyester
• Heather colors are 52% combed and ring-spun cotton, 48% polyester
• Athletic and Black Heather are 90% combed and ring-spun cotton, 10% polyester
• Heather Prism colors are 99% combed and ring-spun cotton, 1% polyester
• Fabric weight: 4.2 oz (142 g/m2)
• Pre-shrunk fabric
• Side-seamed construction
• Shoulder-to-shoulder taping
|Width (inches)||16 ½||18||20||22||24||26||28||30||31|